Call to Artists - Liberty Park Bench Project
The Town of Mooresville Youth Council (MYC) is seeking a local artist to create a design to paint on a steel butterfly bench that will be installed in Liberty Park.
Project Description (PDF)
The MYC would like to reduce feelings of loneliness and reduce the stigma around mental health creating a bench where individuals can find respite and strength. The butterfly was chosen because of the cocoon symbolizes internal struggles and the transformation to the butterfly represents hope for a better future.
The art design should:
• Represent mental health awareness in some distinguishable form while being inclusive and with no elements that may be considered offensive
• Be painted materials that can withstand the outdoors (materials provided by MYC)
Liberty Park Greenway
255 E Iredell Ave
Mooresville, NC 28115
The cost of the paint with be covered by the MYC. The selected artist will be award $500 for all time spent on design and painting of the bench.
This call is open to emerging and professional artists, both working independently and/or with a team, within Iredell County, North Carolina. This can be anyone from a student to an experienced artist. It is suggested that applicants have experience working with paint. The MYC has a commitment to promoting equal opportunities for all, without regard to race, sex, gender, color, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis prescribed by law.
• Statement of Interest (No more than 300 words | PDF format)
• Images of Past Work (Optional, but recommended)
• Description of Project Idea for Liberty Park Mental Health Awareness Bench including art design (No more than 600 words | Must include at least a drawing/sketch of each surface of the bench: front, back, and seat | PDF format)
Deadline for submission is April 5, 2023 at 5 PM.
All application requirements must be submitted at one time through email to Jane Crosby, Advisor to the MYC, at email@example.com.
The selection panel consists of all submissions to be reviewed by the MYC executive board. All submissions that meet the minimum requirement will be reviewed and voted on by the entire MYC. The most popular design will be selected to be created.
Voting will take place on April 11, 2023.
The selection criteria will include the following:
● Interpretation and clarity of description of project idea
● Creativity, originality, feasibility, and scope of artwork
● Artistic quality, composition, and overall design of work
Submission deadline: April 5, 2023 at 5 PM
Voting happens: April 11, 2023
Announcement of Chosen Artist: April 14, 2023
Painting Period: April 17, 2023 - May 31, 2023
Completion date (including installation): No later than May 31, 2023
Resources for Questions
For questions specific to the application process, please contact Mooresville Youth Council Advisors, Jane Crosby (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Shannon Petersen (email@example.com).