Reading Room Rules and Guidelines
Entering the Reading Room
You will be provided with a locker key. Only items necessary for your research should be carried into the reading room, everything else should be stored in the locker provided.
The following items are NOT permitted in the Reading Room:
- Ink pens, markers, or highlighters
- Food or drink of any type (including bottled water)
- Overcoats, briefcases, purses, backpacks, or bags
- Books from other areas of the library including personal copies (except with permission of LHA staff)
Treating with Care
The books, pamphlets, journals, manuscripts, correspondence, photographs, etc. located here are considered to be of lasting research value. To ensure their preservation researchers are asked to treat materials with care and to respect other people in the reading room. We would ask users to:
- Use bookmarks - don't leave books propped open, lying face down, fold corners or bookmark using other books or pencils.
- Make sure your hands are clean - you should not handle material if you have just applied hand lotion.
- Please be aware that newsprint ink is easily transferred - avoid handling newspapers before consulting other LHA materials.
- Do not place items on the floor.
- Do not stack more than three books on the desk.
- Please ask staff before using a digital camera or scanner, including cellphones.
- Do not attach notes to books.
- Do not write, lean or rest on top of collection items.
- Please respect other users by keeping discussion to a minimum and switching off cellphones.
LHA staff reserves the right to limit the number of items you may consult in the reading room at one time to allow enough space for other users to work.
When using manuscripts, old or fragile books:
- Keep loose documents in their original order and handle one at a time (individual papers should be kept flat on the table, not held or creased).
- It may be necessary to use special supports with some fragile materials (please ask staff).
- Uncut book pages should be brought to the attention of LHA staff.
Readers are requested to return materials 15 minutes prior to the closing of the reading room – your help in this is very much appreciated.