There are two different types of annexation.

  • City-Initiated Annexation

City-initiated annexation is a process by which an incorporated municipality can, upon meeting certain requirements as outlined in the North Carolina General Statutes, expand its corporate limits by resolution to include an area that is urbanized or developing. Approval of this type of annexation is not required by residents of an area. The town has performed some city-initiated annexations in the past for a variety of reasons. However current state law has severely restricted the ability of municipalities to perform these types of annexations. Furthermore, they are often very costly for the city contemplating them. For these reasons, the town does not have any plans at this time to perform any city-initiated annexations.

  • Voluntary Annexation

Voluntary annexation is the process by which the residents/property owner, requests that the town extend its boundaries to include the unincorporated area. The town board considers these requests annually, in June. Often, annexation is voluntarily requested because the property owner wishes to receive municipal services, such as water and sewer utilities. Voluntary annexations can be “satellite” annexations, meaning that the property does not have to ‘touch’ the existing municipal limits in order to be considered.


The Development Services Department administers the land development process in the Town of Mooresville. We review, approved and inspect every new commercial and residential development that is constructed within the town’s zoning jurisdiction.


Any new construction, addition, or renovation requires a building permit to be issued through Iredell County. In many cases, a zoning permit from the town is required first. This ensures that the proposed work complies with our ordinances with respect to things like building form, setbacks and location.


The zoning for a property is the designation that specifies how that property can be used within a town or county zoning district. Zoning districts are created to attract certain types of development, for example, single family homes, institutions such as schools and hospitals, offices, neighborhood business, and general industry. They also serve to make sure there are appropriate services available for residents and visitors, and that those services are in locations that best benefit the town.

Sometimes, a property owner may wish to re-zone a property in order to attract a particular type of development. The property owner may petition the town board to re-zone the property. Our zoning administrator can advise and assist the public through this process.