Sign up to receive notifications when Mooresville Fire - Rescue jobs are posted.
If you are interested in applying for a position with Mooresville Fire-Rescue (MFR), review the basic requirements listed below. Eligibility requirements for applicants seeking a firefighter position with MFR include:
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Have a valid driver's license and a good driving record
- Have no felony convictions or misdemeanors involving moral turpitude
- Have no illegal drug use within the last 12 months
- Meet the medical requirements set forth in NFPA 1582
The following is a step-by-step process for applying with Mooresville Fire-Rescue.
Employment applications are available online or applicants may visit the Human Resources Department in Mooresville Town Hall. The first phase of the hiring process requires the following items be submitted to the Human Resources Department as a complete packet:
- Application (applications only accepted for posted positions)
Benefits For Newly-Hired Fire
- 401k Plan with Contributions Made by the Town (5% annual salary)
- 10 - 20 Paid Vacation Days per Year (based on years of service)
- 11 - 12 Paid Holidays per Year
- 12 Paid Sick Leave Days per Year (accumulated indefinitely)
- Education Incentives
- Incentives for fire service experience
- Fitness Center Within the Town
- Medical/Dental/Vision Coverage for Employee (family coverage is available at an additional charge.)
- Local Government Retirement System
- Paid Life Insurance Equal to Annual Salary
- Starting Annual Salary (with no experience/degree) - $34,251
- Tuition Reimbursement (up to $4,000 per year)
- Uniforms and Equipment Furnished by Mooresville Fire-Rescue
- Workers’ Compensation Insurance
MOORESVILLE FIRE-RESCUE Physical Ability Test (CPAT)
All applicants who submit the required information will be scheduled to complete a CPAT examination. MFR will conduct an orientation session, along with two optional practice sessions prior to the CPAT. With all forms submitted, the applicant can attempt the CPAT. Applicants are notified of their status (pass/fail) in this segment of the process before they leave the CPAT location.The CPAT guide (PDF) was designed to assist you with physically preparing for the test.
Upon successfully passing the CPAT, a candidate will be given the date, time, place and type of written exam that MFR will administer. Do not call to check on your status.
Applicant (Panel) Interview
As openings become available, candidates who have passed the written exam may be called for a panel interview with MFR and other Town staff. Applicants who successfully complete the panel interview become eligible for the next phase of the process.
Chiefs’ interview consists of multiple Chief officers of MFR.
Conditional Offer of Employment: As MFR has vacancies, candidates are scheduled for a conditional offer of employment.
Polygraph & Background: Check: Once a conditional offer has been made, candidates will be scheduled for polygraph testing, administered by the Mooresville Police Department, and a background check. Polygraph results and background information will be reviewed by MFR Administration.
Drug Test Screening: Following a conditional offer of employment, a drug-screening test must be conducted and produce negative results.
During Recruit Training Class, recruits receive entry-level training and certifications. A Training Officer is assigned to each recruit class to be a leader, mentor, and to assist with anything the recruits may need. The Training Officer also administers physical fitness training, which is required during the duration of the recruit training process.
During recruit training, recruits receive initial training in five disciplines: Firefighting, Rescue, Hazardous Material, EMT and Emergency Vehicle Driving. After successfully completing Recruit Training, each recruit is assigned to a fire company (either Ladder Company or Engine Company) as a Firefighter.
The candidate must maintain a 70% on all written/practical exams during the recruit academy process. Failure to meet the 70% requirement may result in termination.
All candidates will receive a minimum level of training in order to give basic knowledge to the new employee on procedures, policies, and basic skills.